MASSAWEPIE STAFF
ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
Home Massawepie Today
About Us Massawepie History

Album of Massawepie Photos from the 1940's



The following photos of Massawepie were taken in the 1940's by Edward C. Dreby, III, whose wife Virginia came from the Sykes family which formerly owned Massawepie. Virginia Sykes Dreby is the daughter of W. Clyde Sykes, and the granddaughter of W.L. Sykes who purchased Massawepie in 1917. These photos are used by permission of Edward C. Dreby, III, who compiled them into an album in 1951.

Click below to see a photo. Note: each photo file is about 100K in size.

Front Cover of Photo Album, showing the "Leaning Pine" along the Massawepie Lake shore between Camp Pioneer and Camp Mountaineer Index Map of Photo Album
Close-up map of Hotel (now Camp Pioneer) area from Index Map of Photo Album 1) From Gale, looking across Catamount Pond toward Massawepie
2) The Park House (near current Massawepie Trek Building; used as caretaker residence during Sykes era; home of Burgdorf family starting Fall, 1951; burned down May 16, 1953, after new Property Superintendent residence built near shop by Catamount Pond) 3) The Hotel Service Quarters (in current field near Pioneer Scoutcraft area)
4) The Hotel Childwold (previously Childwold Park House, near current Pioneer flagpole) from Massawepie Road 5) The Hotel Childwold from the Woods Path (near current Indian troop site)
6) The path to Camp Sorghum (probably from near Newcomb troop site) 7) Camp Sorghum (former Pioneer office 1952-1970, now site of Camp Pioneer Handicraft Building)
8) The George Sykes' Cottage (probably above current Camp Pioneer campfire circle) 9) The Dorr Cottage (in field SE of Camp Pioneer Dining Hall)
10) Bishop Flint's (near current Staff Showerhouse; Charles Flint was a Methodist bishop in Syracuse) 11) Number Twelve Cottage ("Addison Cottage" during hotel era, now location of Camp Pioneer Dining Hall)
12) The Clyde Sykes' Cottage (also called Number Fourteen, rear view, located in field at N end of Camp Pioneer Dining Hall) 13) The Clyde Sykes' Cottage (also called Number Fourteen, front view)
14) The Path to the Beach (near current Camp Pioneer waterfront 15) The "Crooked Pine" on the beach
16) The "Birches" at the Massawepie Lake inlet NW of the Camp Pioneer Boating area 17) The hotel boathouse and Mt. Arab from the rocks west of the inlet (along lakeshore near current Camp Pioneer chapel)
18) Crown Point (now Pontiac Point) and Camp Manhattan (now Inspiration Point, location of the Camp Mountaineer campfire circle) from the rocks west of the inlet (along lakeshore near current Camp Pioneer chapel) 19) The tree atop the rock (near current Camp Pioneer chapel)
20) Approaching the "Leaning Pine" (along Massawepie Lake shore about halfway from Camp Pioneer to Camp Mountaineer) 21) Crown Point (now Pontiac Point) from the "Leaning Pine"
22) The "Leaning Pine" 23) The Beach (now the Camp Pioneer Beach)
24) The "Big Cottage" (used by W.L. Sykes and his two daughters, Ruth Sykes Sherwood and Grace Sykes Wheaton, and their families; was Wahigun Cottage during the hotel era; now Cranberry troop site) 25) Number Six Cottage (Tamarach Cottage during the hotel era, used by Scouts as Health Lodge 1952-58, then Staff Lounge and Central Trail Store until 1975)
26) The Roy Sykes' Cottage 27) Number Four Cottage
28) Number Five Cottage? 29) Number Two Cottage (now along the white trail between Camp Pioneer and Camp Voyageur)
30) Number One Cottage (Burnside Cottage during the hotel era, now along the white trail between Camp Pioneer and Camp Voyageur) 31) The Island (Camp Isola during the hotel era, now Eagle Island, viewed from current Vingo outpost)
32) Crown Point (now Pontiac Point) and Mount Matumbla, from the cove just west of Pontiac Point 33) Crown Point (now Pontiac Point) looking west
Back Cover of album, repeat of photo #12, with credit

The information on this page was gathered as part of a Massawepie History project in preparation for Massawepie's 50th Anniversary in 2002. This information is as complete and accurate as is currently known. Any corrections or additions are welcome, as are other tidbits of Massawepie History. Send them to Peter Collinge (see below, or mail to 77 Tall Oak Lane, Pittsford, NY 14534).

Page URL: http://MassStaffAlumni.org/DrebyAlb.htm
Web Page Designed and Maintained by Peter Collinge
Added to the Web: December 3, 2001; Last Updated: March 10, 2002